MD ISRAFIL ALAM is born on 13th of March 1966, in a distinguished and respected Muslim family of Village: Jhina, Post: Gona, Upazilla: Raninagar District: Naogaon, Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM completed his SSC and HSC from Science Group. He completed his Bachelors of Business Administration (BBA) and Masters of Business Administration (MBA) in Marketing. He also has Bachelors of Law (LLB) and Master of Laws (LLM). He then obtained Masters in Human Rights Law.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM`s professional career started at Titas Gas Transmission & Distribution Company Limited as a government employee. As a worker, he got exposed to the difficulties and hurdles, befalling the mass workers of that organization as well as other sectors of the country, and as such, he decided to contribute to the overall development of working-class people. His dedication, involvement and constructive role in Titas Gas Trade Union activities grabbed the public attention and he emerged with capable and effective leadership attributes within a short period of time.
Since the embryonic stage of life, MD ISRAFIL ALAM is a die-heart follower of the Father of the Nation, with his irresistible magnetism for the development strategies and progressive pro-people policy of the Bangladesh Awami League.
He became affiliated with Bangladesh Chatra League (Student wing of Awami League), working as an activist thereof.
During his professional life, he joined Bangladesh Sromik League (Labour wing of Awami League) and moved into national politics.
Later on, he actively participated in the politics of Bangladesh Awami League and got an opportunity to lead the politics of the organization at the district level.
During college life in Naogaon Government College, MD ISRAFIL ALAM worked for the movement to have a “Democratic Government” in the era of “Military Rule”. He was involved in the several kinds of social, cultural, and charity activity in his college and in the particular locality he belongs to. He threw the gauntlet against autocratic government of General HM Earshad under the leadership of Sheikh Hasina.
ISRAFIL ALAM served as the Office Secretary of Dhaka City Sromik League (Dhaka City labour wing of Awami League) very successfully from 1987-1991. From 1991-1996, he served as the Member Secretary of the Convening Committee of Dhaka Mahanagar Sromik League (Dhaka Metropolitan labour wing of Awami League) and at the same time he was also the Acting Office Secretary of Central Sromik League (National labour wing of Awami League). He served as the Secretary General of Dhaka City Sromik League (Dhaka City labour Wing of Awami League) from 1997-2012.
He is the founder and advisor of Different Trade Unions of Bangladesh, encompassing Basic Union, Sectorial Union and National Union.
From 2001 to 2011, MD ISRAFIL ALAM successfully worked to form the local committee of Sromik League in 25 Thana Committees (Police Station) and 86 Ward Committees under the direct supervision of Sheikh Hasina, the president of Bangladesh Awami League and the current Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
For his outstanding performance in serving Bangladesh Awami League, MD ISRAFIL ALAM was nominated by the party as a candidate from Bangladesh Electoral Constituency 51, Naogaon-6 (Atrai-Raninagar) as a candidate for 8th National Parliament Election held in 2001 and received 84 thousands votes. In 9th National Parliament Election held in 2008, he was elected as a Member of Parliament (MP). In 10th National Parliament election held in 2014, he was elected for the second consecutive time as a Member of Parliament (MP). In 11th National Parliament election held in 2018, he is again elected for the third consecutive time and is the current Member of Parliament (MP) of Bangladesh Electoral Constituency 51, Naogaon-6 (Atrai-Raninagar).
MD ISRAFIL ALAM was sent to jail several times by the opposition aggregating to 34 months for his bold voice and uncompromising stands against misruling, essential commodity price-hike, corruption, and also voting right and human rights violation. He was declared “Innocent and Free” by the trail court for every charge brought against him, a particular fact which was politically motivated and intended to harass him. His family also underwent incalculable sufferings during that period as Law Enforcing Agencies raided his house often in search of him. During the Caretaker Government rule in 2011, he was accused by the anti-Corruption Commission for the aforementioned reasons but they failed to prove any charges against him and they closed his file.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM represents the second generation of politicians in his family.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM raised his uncompromising voice in favor of the people of his constituency; Naogaon-6, Rajshahi. He is making all efforts to improve his constituency and people’s welfare in order to establish a sustainable development, peace and security.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM`s qualities are often backed by his skills, experiences, intelligence and integrity. He has several publications on current political, social and economic issues.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM played a very important role in development and modernization of 3rd National Labour Policy of Bangladesh. He highly encouraged democratic practices in labour organizations and established rights for the migrants. He geared up the means of promoting unorganized labours, health and safety rights for labours, and formulated a balanced wage structure for workers at the national level. An inference can be drawn that MD ISRAFIL ALAM holds the deserving position of leader under the supervision, direction and control of Sheikh Hasina, working towards expediting improvements in the life-style of every individual labour working in Bangladesh. His cultural and intellectual attributes to update Bangladesh National Labour Law in 2013 is appreciated by all. On the other hand he is an established leader of agriculture based cooperative and rural development sector of Bangladesh. He is elected twice as the Chairman of Bangladesh National Co-Operative Federation for Rural Development, under which 453 Upazilla Central Co-Operative associations are being governed in most of the regions of Bangladesh. It is the only one democratic organization for co-operative farmers at the national level.
- Author, Begum Ziar Pach Bochor (5 Years OF Begum Zia).
- Author, Bangladesh: Rastro Rajniti, Sorkar O Songbidhan (Bangladesh: State Politics, Government & Constitution).
- Author, Father.
- Editor, Rabindra Journal (A research journal on World Poet & Noble Laurite Rabindranath Tegore)
- Editor, Ajker Somobay (Co-Operatives Today).
- Editor, Sromic Kontho (Workers Voice).
- Editor, 100 Poems Written by 10 Poets Dedicated to Sheikh Hasina.
- Editor, 100 Poems written By 100 Poets against Radicalism.
- Editor, 100 Poems Written by 100 Poet Forwarding “Joy Bangla” Spirit.
National Committees and Commissions:
- Former Chairman, Standing Committee on Labour & Employment Ministry, Bangladesh National Parliament.
- Former Member, Standing Committee on Power, Energy & Mineral Resource Ministry, Bangladesh National Parliament.
- Former Member, Standing Committee on the Ministry of Information & Communication Technology, Bangladesh National Parliament.
- Member, Standing Committee on Labour & Employment Ministry, Bangladesh National Parliament.
- Member, Ministry of Expatriates Welfare & Overseas Employment, Bangladesh National Parliament.
- Chairman, All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Extreme Poverty, Bangladesh Parliament.
- Member, Parliamentarians for Global Action (PGA).
- Life Member, Parliament Members Club, Bangladesh National Parliament.
- Chairman, Bangladesh National Co-Operative Federation for Rural Development.
- Member, Governing Body, Bangladesh Rural Development Board (BRDB).
- Member, Governing Body, Bangladesh Rural Development Academy (BRAB).
- Member, Bangladesh National Tripartite Consultative Committee (NTCC).
- Life Member, Bangladesh Institution of Labour Study (BILS).
- Life Member, Naogaon District Society.
- General Sectary, Bangladesh Auto Tempo Drivers & Workers Federation.
- Advisor, Bangladesh Gram Theatre & Lokonatto Utshab Committee.
- Former Leader, Collective Bargaining Agent (CBA).
- Chairman, Board of Trustees, Atish Dipankar University of Science and Technology.
- Chairman, Raninagar Women’s Degree College, Sher-E-Bangla, Raninagar, Naogaon.
- Chairman, Mollah Azad Memorial Degree College, Atrai, Naogaon.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM obtained certification / completed the following courses with highest honors:
- Professional Certificate in Parliamentary Affairs form International Centre for Parliamentary Studies, United Kingdom.
- Advance Leadership Course at Singapore Institute of Labour Studies (SILS) organized by International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU) and Japan International Labour Foundation.
- Vice Chancellors Award from Dhaka International University.
- Bangladesh Institute of Labour Studies (BILS) on Trainer’s Training Module.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM received several awards. Some of them are:
- Tofazzal Hossain Manik Miah Sangshad Award.
- Uttorio Award on 150th Birth Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore.
- Best Labour Organizer Award.
As a representative of Bangladesh, MD ISRAFIL ALAM visited:
- Visited Denmark to attend 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference under the leadership of Hon’able Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in 2009.
- Visited South Africa to attend 2011 United Nations Climate Change Conference in 2011.
- Visited United States of America (United Nations, Capitol Hill, House of Nations & White House) as a member of All Party Parliamentary Group led by the Hon`able Speaker of Bangladesh parliament.
- Visited Canada for Parliamentary Study Tour organized by US-Aid in 2011.
- Visited Philippines to attend Parliamentarians’ Forum on Migrant Domestic Workers organized by Migrant Forum in Asia (MFA), the Philippine House Committee on Overseas Workers’ Affairs (COWA), and Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) in 2011.
- Visited Thailand to attend Asian Inter‐Parliamentary Caucus on Labour Migration organized by Migrant Forum in Asia in 2013.
- Visited Nepal to attend South Asia Parliamentarians’ Conference on Dalit Concerns: Enabling Equity and Inclusion in 2013.
- Visited Switzerland to join International Labour Conference as the Leader of Bangladesh Delegation organized by International Labour Organization in 2013.
- Visited Nepal to attend South Asian Parliamentarians Conference on Rights of Dalit & Scheduled Casts organized by European Union (EU) and Christian Aid in 2014.
- Visited Morocco to attend 8th Consultative Assembly of Parliamentarians for the International Criminal Court and the Rule of Law (CAP ICC) organized by Parliamentarians for Global Action (PGA) hosted by The Moroccan Parliament in 2014.
- Visited Malaysia to attend Regional Civil Society Consultation on Mixed Migration Flows in and to South East Asia organized by Coordination and Action Research on AIDS and Mobility (CARAM Asia) in 2015.
- Visited China as a VIP Guest of Governor of Jilin Province of China to attendThe 4th Global Economic Leaders’ Summit (GELS 2015) in 2015.
- Visited Switzerland as a Migrants Rights International / Migrant Forum in Asia Delegation to the 23rd Session of the UN Committee on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families in 2015.
- Visited Malaysia to attend Asian Inter-Parliamentary Caucus on Labour Migration organized by Migrant Forum in Asia in 2015.
- Visited El-Salvador to attend Annual Parliamentary Forum on The Role of Parliamentarians in Support of Peace and Security organized by Parliamentarians for Global Action (PGA) in 2015.
- Visited Malaysia to attend the 5th Annual Assembly of the Asian Inter-Parliamentary Caucus on Labour Migration, The Sustainable Development Agenda: The Role of Parliaments in Translating Global Goals to Concrete Actions organized by Migrant Forum in Asia (MFA) in 2015.
- Visited Sri Lanka to attend Asian Regional Seminar for Members of Parliament: The role of Parliamentarians in the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights organized by Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) in 2016.
- Visited Netherlands to attend Profiles of the Missing: A Conversation with Families of the Missing organized by Commissioners of the International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) in 2016.
- Visited Australia to attend Commonwealth Parliamentary Cybercrime and Cybersecurity Project: Asia-Pacific Regional Workshop organized by Commonwealth Parliamentary Association UK, in partnership with the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Organization of American States (OAS) in 2016.
- Visited Mexico to attend United Nations Conference on Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration as Head of Delegation of Bangladesh Parliamentarians Caucus in 2017.
- Visited United States of America to attend United Nations High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development as a member of delegation of Parliamentarians’ Caucus on Migration and Development of Government of Bangladesh in 2019.
- Visited India, Malaysia, Singapore, Sweden, Germany, Italy, and France for various social & political activities.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM founded several Social & Cultural establishments. He is the:
- Founder of Bishow Kobi Rabindranath Agriculture & Technology Institute, Potisor, Atrai, Naogaon (Higher Secondary educational institute after the name of world-poet Rabindranath Tagore).
- Founder & Chairman of North Bengal Human Development Institute, Raninagar, Naogaon.
- Founder & Chairman of North Bengal Skill Development Institute, Raninagar, Naogaon.
- Founder & Chairman of Azizur Rahman Memorial Academy, Raninagar, Naogaon (Secondary Educational Institute).
- Founder & Chairman of Mother Care School and College, Raninagar, Naogaon.
- Founder & Chairman of Bangladesh Workers Development Society.
- Founder of Raninagar Cultural Academy, Raninagar, Naogaon.
- Founder of Atrai Cultural Academy, Atrai, Naogaon.
- Founder of Shatabdi Pathchacra (Study Circle), Dhaka.
- Founder of Rabindra Shahitto Parishad, Potishar, Atrai, Naogaon.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM`s father, Late Azizur Rahman, was a worthy contributor to social and political activities and national agricultural cooperative sector. He served as advisor of Raninagar Upazilla Awami League till death. MD ISRAFIL ALAM`s mother Eseda Rahman is house wife.
In personal life, MD ISRAFIL ALAM is married to Sultana Parvin (M.A. & Masters of Human Rights Law) who is working in a state-owned bank.
MD ISRAFIL ALAM is the father of two daughters and a son.